Clip in hair extensions are cheaper, faster and healthier for your hair than getting the traditional glue-in extensions. They add length, volume and thickness to your hair in under minutes. Maintaining them is not hard at all, but it is very important to know how to take care of these extensions. After all, the better care your hair extensions receive, the longer they will last you.
How to Care 1: Take your hair extensions out before going to bed
Unlike sewn-in extensions, clip-in extensions must be removed before you go to bed. The tiny combs can dig into your scalp while you sleep, which can be painful. They also tend to be more fragile than sewn-in extensions.
- Start from the uppermost extensions first. After you have taken them out, you can move on to the middle and bottom extensions.
How to Care 2: Wash your hair extensions once a month
Place the extensions in a tub or sink, and dampen them with lukewarm water. If you can, use a handheld shower head. Apply a small amount of shampoo and gently massage the fibers. Rinse the lather out, and repeat with the conditioner.
- If your extensions are synthetic, use a wig shampoo intended for synthetic fibers.
- If your extensions are real hair, use a mild shampoo and conditioner, or a shampoo intended for extensions.
How to Care 3: Hang the hair extensions up to dry, and don’t brush them while they are wet
Pat them dry with a soft towel first, then clip them to a pants hanger. Place the hanger in your shower, or in a well-ventilated area. Wait until the extensions are dry before you brush or style them.
- It is very important that you wait for your extensions to dry. If you brush them while they are wet, the fibers will frizz.
How to Care 4: Comb hair extensions using a wide-toothed comb
Make sure that the extensions are dry. Start combing them from the ends first, and work your way to the top. Never comb straight down from the top to the ends.
- Avoid using the same comb that you use on your own hair, especially if these are synthetic fibers. The oils from your hair can degrade synthetic fibers.
- Be patient and take your time when combing your extensions. If you rush, you will damage them.
How to Care 5: Keep them moisturized, especially when you style hair extensions often
When your extensions are dry, comb a little bit of leave-in conditioner evenly. Don’t overdo it because they’ll become greasy easier than your natural locks.
- The only exception to this is if the extensions are make from synthetic fibers. In this case, skip the leave-in conditioner.
How to Care 6: Take care when heat styling your hair extensions
It is best to avoid heat styling, such as straightening or curling, all together, especially on synthetic extensions because they will melt. If you heat style natural hair extensions, be sure to use a heat protecting spray, and a lower temperature.
- Avoid blow drying the extensions. This can cause them to tangle.
- Make sure that your extensions are dry before you heat-style them. Be sure to style them before you clip them to your hair.
- If your extensions are made from fragile or synthetic fibers, stick to no-heat styling methods instead.
- If you can, get 2 sets of the same extensions. Keep 1 pair “just for curling” and 1 “just for straightening.” This will cut down on style time and damage.
How to Care 7: Wear hair extensions in a ponytail only if they were made to be worn that way
Some extensions will fall apart in a ponytail. Read the labeling when buying new extensions to see if you can use them in a ponytail. If it doesn’t say whether or not you can, it is best to be on the safe side and do not put them in a ponytail.
- Some people recommend putting extensions in upside-down, with the teeth of the combs pointing upward, then pulling the extensions up into a ponytail. This will allow you to create a more natural looking ponytail.
How to Care 8: De-frizz synthetic hair extensions with water and fabric softener
Fill a spray bottle with 2 parts fabric softener and 1 part water. Close the bottle, and shake it to mix. Spray the extensions with the solution, then comb through them. Use a wide toothed comb, and work in small sections, starting from the ends first.
- Let the extensions dry before using them.
You can buy hair extensions clip-in in our online store. The notes and the knowledge of the quality of the Hair Extensions AmatiStyle.