It’s common for a lot of girls and women to get nervous or unsure when it comes to hair extensions, because not a lot of people are familiar with them.
If you’re looking for a guide on How to use Clip Extensions, you’ve come to the right place.
After reading this post, you will see for yourself how truly easy it is to transform your hair into long or short, voluminous locks in just minutes, without any damage to your hair. Doesn’t that sound lovely?
How preparing to use clip extensions
1.- Buy a pack of clip-in extensions that match your hair color
If you can’t find the right color, you can dye them using hair dye (if they are made from real hair). You can also buy them in a lighter shade for an ombre effect.
- It would be even better if the extensions matched your hair texture (curly or straight). Don’t worry if you can’t find the right ones; you can curl or straighten them later.
2.- Separate the wefts into groups based on how many clips they have
Most packs of extensions will come with 7 wefts, or strings of hair. Each weft will have 2, 3, or 4 clips sewn into it. Separate your wefts into groups based on how many clips are sewn in. Some groups may only have a single weft, while another group may have up to 4 wefts.
- Knowing how many clips are on each weft is important. Where you place the weft depends on how many clips are sewn into it.
3.- Brush the extensions using a clean hairbrush
Gently brush the hair starting from the ends. Never drag a brush straight down through the wefts without detangling it first. If the hair is particularly knotted, detangle it first using a wide-toothed comb, then brush it.
4.- Straighten or curl the extensions to match your hair, if desired
If the extensions are made from real hair, apply a heat protectant product then use a curling iron or a hair straightener on them, just like you would on your own hair. If they are made from synthetic fibers, read the package to ensure that they are heat-resistant, or you risk melting the fibers. Alternatively, you can straighten or curl your hair to match the extensions instead.
- A trick for styling the extensions is to pull your own hair back into a ponytail then clip the extensions in one at a time to the side of your head and curl or straighten them.
- Alternatively, you can clip the extensions to a skirt hanger to make it easier to style them.
5.- Wash, dry, and brush your hair
Even though these extensions are only temporary, your hair should be clean, dry, and free of any knots or tangles. Wash your hair as you normally would, then allow it to air dry or use a hairdryer. Brush your hair until it is smooth and free of knots.
See also: Different ways to use Hair Extensions
How to use or applying Clip Extensions
1.- Section off the hair just below your ears
Slide the handle of a rat-tail comb through your hair, just below your ears. Pull everything above the comb up into a bun. Check the horizontal part that you made in the mirror to ensure that it is even. Any strands of hair interrupting it may snag on the comb and feel uncomfortable.
- Ideally, the part should be level with the bottom of your ears.
- It would be a good idea to brush the loose hair below the comb once again to ensure that it is smooth.
2.- Insert a 3 clip extensions weft into your hair, just below the part
Find a weft that has 3 clips sewn into it. Snap open the comb-like clips on your weft. Position the weft right over the horizontal part and slide the combs into your hair, as close to the roots as possible, and snap them shut. Start with the middle clip first, then do the sides.
- Keep the extensions 1 inch (2.5 cm) from your hairline for a natural look.
3.- Repeat the process for mid-ear level
Let down another section of hair. Use your rat-tail comb to create a horizontal part that is level with the middle of your ears. Gather everything above the part into a bun, just like before. Insert a 4-clip weft into the roots just below the part.
Again, insert the middle clips first, then do the sides.
- Some packs will have a short 4-clip weft and a long 4-clip weft. Use the shorter 4-clip weft here.
4.- Repeat the process above your ears using a longer weft
Let down another section of hair. Use the rat-tail comb to create a part that’s level with the tips of your ears. Insert the longest weft into the roots just below the part, starting with the middle clips and finishing with the outer.
- Use a 5-clip weft or a longer 4-clip weft for this.
- If you don’t have either of these clips, skip this step.
5.- Insert a 3 clip extensions weft 2 inches (5.1 cm) below your crown
Undo your bun and measure down 2 inches (5.1 cm) from the back of your crown. Create a horizontal part with your rat-tail comb and bun the rest of your hair, just like before. Insert the final 3-clip weft into the roots, then let down your hair.
- If you have whorls, deep splits, or other cowlicks in your crown area, check this weft after inserting it to ensure it isn’t visible due to a cowlick.
6.- Insert a 2 clip extensions weft 2 inches (5.1 cm) above each ear
Use the handle of your rat-tail comb to create a horizontal part 2 inches (5.1 cm) above your left ear. Instead of putting your hair in a bun like before, brush it over to the opposite side and secure it with a clip. Insert the 2-clip weft into that part, 1 inch (2.5 cm) from the hairline. Repeat this step for the right ear.
7.- Add the remaining 1 clip extensions wefts wherever you think you need more hair
Typically, you’ll need to add them right above the 2-clip wefts, 2 on each side. If you part your hair to the side, however, you may wish to use more clips on the thicker side of the part. If you use them on the thinner side, the wefts may show.
8.- Remove the extensions at the end of the day before going to bed
Starting from the top-left side of your head, pat your hair where you inserted the wefts. Once you feel the wefts, slide your fingers into your hair and snap open all of the combs on that weft. Gently pull the weft out, then move onto the next.
- Work your way from top-to-bottom. You will have to feel your way around for this step.
- Never go to bed while wearing clip-in extensions, or you may end up pulling out your hair.
Change the look today and look fascinating
How to use Clip Extensions in short or thin hair
1.- Trim and layer your extensions if you have short hair
This may seem counterintuitive, especially if you are trying to make your hair look longer, but it will look more natural. If you clip in the extensions without blending them into your own hair, the difference in length will be obvious.
- Trim the extensions after you insert them into your hair. It would be a good idea to have a trained stylist do it for you.
2.- Go a shade lighter if you have short hair and want an ombre effect
In most cases, you will want to match the extensions to your hair color. If you desire an ombre effect, consider going 1 to 2 shades lighter. If the ends of your hair are already lighter, you could match the extensions to them instead.
- You can use this step for longer hair as well.
3.- Pay attention to the thickness of the wefts if you have thick hair
If you get extensions that aren’t thick enough, the ends of your hair will look too thin compared to the rest of your hair. This will look unnatural and make it obvious that you are wearing extensions.
4.- Tease your roots before adding the extensions to add volume
This will give the wefts something to grip onto and prevent them from sliding off. It will also help give your hair a little extra volume. Tease each section just before adding the extension.
- To tease your hair, pull a thin section of hair away from your head, then run a comb under it in short strokes, starting from the middle and ending at the roots.
5.- Don’t be afraid to leave some wefts out if you have thin hair
This will often be the case if you bought thick hair extensions. If you use all of the extensions, the difference in volume between your hair and the extensions may be obvious. You may also create too much bulk, which could lead to visible wefts.
- Consider buying extensions designed for thin hair. They will give you length and volume while looking natural.
6.- Make sure that the wefts are not visible
You may have to adjust the positioning of the extensions. If you don’t have enough hair covering them, the wefts may be visible. It would be a good idea to give your head a shake, and check for any wefts that are peeking through when your hair moves.
- The best places to position your extensions is anywhere below eyebrow level. This ensures that you have enough hair covering them.
7.- Style your extensions if desired
Curling your hair and the extensions will help give your hair even more volume. Whether you curl the extensions before or after you add them to your hair is up to you. Go with whatever is most comfortable for you. If your extensions are synthetic, check the package to see whether or not they are heat-resistant. If they are not heat-resistant, don’t curl them.
See also: How to Use Extensions with Short Hair?
Tips to use clip extensions
- If the extensions keep slipping, mist your roots with hairspray first. Let the hairspray dry, then add the extensions.
- Curl or straighten the extensions to match your hair texture. Alternatively, you can curl or straighten your hair to match the extensions.
- If you want longer, thicker hair on a daily basis, consider tape-in or sew-in extensions instead. They are lighter and cause less damage.
- You can always dye or highlight extensions to match your own hair, as long as they are made from real hair.
- Check the content of your extensions before heat styling them or dyeing them. If they are made from synthetic fibers, this could damage them. Read the packaging to be sure.
- You get what you pay for when it comes to extensions. Cheap extensions may not last very long. They may not be made from real hair.
- Consult a doctor if you are dealing with excessive hair loss before trying extensions. They may not be the right solution for your condition and could make it worse!
Warnings to use clip extensions
- Take out your extensions before going to bed. If you wear them to sleep, they may snag on your hair and cause bald spots.
- Do not wear extensions more than 2 times a week. The weight will cause too much tension on your roots and lead to bald spots.
See also: Caring for Clip in Hair Extensions
Have you tried AmatiSytle hair extensions?
We are a team dedicated to the production, distribution and sale of unprocessed hair extensions. We comply with the highest standards of quality required by today woman. AmatiStyle hair is a hundred percent human hair extensions quality. The AmatiStyle hair extensions can be dyed and washed without damaging the quality. The hair is selected from one head to keep the cuticle in one direction and not get tangled when the hair is in contact with the water. Using AmatiStyle hair extensions. The hair will always stay radiant, tangle free, smooth and without frizz. AmatiStyle without damaging the quality. The hair is selected from one head to keep the cuticle in one direction and not get tangled when the hair contact with water.
Why buy 100% natural AmatiStyle hair extensions?
1) They are free of entanglements.
2) No frizz.
3) Thickness at the tips.
4) 100% human.
5) It can be dyed, ironed, curled since it is 100% human hair.
6) Double firing on the top for greater protection of the strands when ironing.
AmatiStyle comes from a long experience in the care and maintenance of women hair. Many stylists confirm this. We differ from other types of hair because we offer quality remi hundred percent. The texture and color of hair easily adapts to the needs of the most severe groups. AmatiStyle has the confidence of consumers. The success of the brand and customer satisfaction proves once again that we are synonymous with quality, expertise and innovation. Our main clientele is located in the United States (Miami, New York, Las Vegas, and Los Angeles).
Our Vision: Meet the most demanding tastes.
Our Values: Responsibility, Commitment, Ethics.